May 14, 2013

On Fictional Relationships (featuring Twilight & the Lux series)

May 14, 2013
Recently I've really enjoyed reading the Lux series as well as rediscovering the Twilight series. (Yeah, haha, laugh all you want, I've found a new place of acceptance where I can still diss the special effects of the movies but actually enjoy the characters) Anyways, I've noticed some peculiar relationships in both of these series, and its made me consider relationships in general.

The thing about these relationships (I'm thinking mainly Bella/Edward and Katy/Daemon) is that I think they are somewhat unhealthy. Okay, it's great that the boys are so protective of their girls and that they care for them and all that couple crap, but let's be honest with ourselves: that's not the kind of guy girls should want. I will admit that it's probably acceptable to be pampered every once in a while, but a guy should not be ordering a girl around just to protect her. Another point that goes along with this is the paranormal crap that goes on in these books. I can somewhat understand the protective nature of Daemon and Edward because of the supernatural danger their girls are in because of them, but these girls are strong and independent. That is one reason why I think Katy is such a strong character, in fact, one of my favorite female characters that I've read about in a long time. Katy doesn't let Daemon push her around even when he's trying to "protect her." Bella as well knows how to assert herself and act according to her own desires. However, these desires always end up being related to Edward.

I'm very frustrated with other girls, and mostly myself, whenever I hear about or think about wanting a boy like Edward or Daemon. The theories have been presented many times, many more when I was a part of the Twilight fandom more fervently, that Edward is not a good boyfriend because he's semi-stalkerish and is extremely overprotective and doesn't do what's best for Bella blah blah blah. But ultimately, I think the biggest problem with boys like Edward and Daemon is that girls always tend to want boys because they're hot or they pay attention to them. Now I don't think it's wrong to want a boy with either of those qualities. That being said, I always scoff when I read books like Twilight or Obsidian because somehow these girls become totally engrossed with these attractive "nice" boys who just magically love them back because, well, the girl is "special" or "different" or "not like other girls". Like seriously? Who says that kind of crap? Maybe my circle of guy acquaintances is not big enough, but I've literally never heard anyone say that in real life. I've certainly never experienced that. I guess, strangely enough, whenever I read books with fictional relationships where the boy and girl just magically fall together and the not-so-popular girl gets the oh-so-attractive, oh-so-sarcastic wonderboy, I find that the most unrealistic part of the story! Forget about aliens and vampires, I can't handle the magical couple! (I actually really love the pairings, I just don't like how they magically fall in love because the girl is so "different")

What I'm trying to say is this: I have not fallen in love, so I guess I can't really understand what the girls are going through, but I constantly want to smack fictional couples and try to figure out how they end up together. It always seems to me that they fall in love in a matter of weeks or months and then suddenly the boys overprotect the girls and the girls just get lucky with a toned superman who teases them and doesn't get reprimanded. That is the one major plus to Katy and Daemon's relationship. Katy stands up for herself and does not let Daemon walk all over her. But still...how does the kind of bland book-reviewing nerd end up getting love from an attractive sexy beast like Daemon? I will never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soundtrack in My Mind © 2014