Shatter Me.
I read it in one day. The writing just screamed beauty. Strikethroughs, imagery, metaphors, beautiful words. It was just refreshing. And the best part is that when I picked up the book, I literally did not know what would happen. You know you generally get an idea at the beginning that this is the main goal of the story. Rescue the girl, find the true love, save the true love, make things normal again. This one was not like that. From the very first chapter I just felt so in the dark and I loved it. It made everything unpredictable. But the really great part is that I really enjoyed the main characters. Like, chapter one (or was it two?) I immediately recognized the true couple and stuck with them even when Juliette doubted him. I hated (you know, love to hate) the antagonist because he was so disgusting and hard to read. I found the setting and overall world really interesting and different. I loved how many plot twists they were, and weren't. I mean, in the end there were more times that I just giggled with happiness over the romance or the jokes or the sarcasm than when I gasped because of something bad. And I guess that's not great, but I think as a first book in the series it really laid everything out so you could see what was happening in that world. Not too much information, but not too little to make you apathetic. I have loads of questions, but I'm also just very content with where the story is. And I'm still head over heels in love with the main love interest. The only thing I think that was kind of off for me I guess is how people can conveniently touch her. (Not saying who for obvious reasons.) Like, I hope they say in the next book or something that "Oh here's the magical not coincidental at all reason and strangely a bunch of people can touch her so no random information that can be manipulated for the plot yay!" Okay, kinda messy writing there, but you get the point. I don't just want these people to be able to touch her so that everything works out the way the author wants it. Even though that would be nice, it just doesn't fly with me. And can I say I love love love Kenji? I don't know what they described him as, but I just see him as this adorable overly confident dark skinned guy and I LOVE HIM. Like, not Adam love, but like, squealing with glee at every word/joke he says. Ugh. And I will admit that even though I did not intend on reading this book (and especially not in one day), props to Laura and Barnes & Noble for proving me wrong; this book was a knock out. If only the sequel weren't 11.99. (I did find out that the sequel came out previously this month so I guess I'm really not far behind on trends.) And as a side note, why did she include the blond Adam detail at the endish? I spend the whole book picturing him with dark hair and it totally threw me off and frustrated me. Because he would be much better as a not blond. Just saying. (Though he is still extremely attractive.) And what is up with their matching bird things?! I WANT TO KNOW ANSWERS. UGH.
I still have to buy Crossed and Reached and Pandemonium and Unravel Me and stuff, but I just don't know which one to pick first.
No comments:
Post a Comment