I'm going to try a little experiment. (Experiment, strategy, etc.) I have spent too many school days coming home and eating junk food, watching TV, wasting time on the internet, and ultimately not focusing on my studies. I know when school starts I won't want to focus on my studies, but at the moment I actually wanna get better grades than last year. I finally had a year where I got a solid A in my math class and an A on a Physics final (which I did not think was possible). I'm going to use this simple ideas to drive me this year. I will not get senioritis. I promise myself.
Current Plans for the School Year:
- Self Control: This is an app that I found through Pinterest. And I love the idea. I think it's exactly what I need. It basically allows you to control your internet usage (aka restrict the use of Tumblr or Facebook etc.) and there is no way to override it. You just have to wait it out until the timer runs out. And as scary as that sounds to the internet addict in me, I think it could help me a lot. I plan on cutting of the use of my main internet sites right when I get home (to encourage me to start my homework then), and if I don't finish my homework before dinner, I'll cut off my main internet sites for the rest of the night. I hope this works. Because if it does, I might have a found a gold mine.
- Homework: I am going to try my hardest to get as much homework done in study hall as I can. If I can't finish it then, I'm going to hustle home and try to finish it right then and there. Of course, if it's a project or a paper I will probably put it off. I will begin the year and really try to focus on my homework and preparing for tests/finals rather than just doing homework to get it done. Also, to solve the whole weekend thing, I'll try and do one homework assignment a day. Unless they're all easy. Or some other strange exception.
- Snacks/Food: Since I always tend to stuff myself when I get home from school, I'm going to limit myself. One serving. This could be a granola bar or maybe if I'm just feeling like crud a bowl of cereal, but that's it. No second bowl or adding on or extra anything. I also want to try and eat fruit or something that's healthy. Not junkie. If I can do that, I really think I'll feel better and I'll stop sitting around being fat.
- Walking: I've been trying all summer to get myself exercising, and I succeeded for a good week or two. Then it all went down and now I'm still a fat girl with exercise clothes in her dresser drawers. I know I won't do this come winter, but I want to try and go walking at least three times a week. That could mean Saturday morning or Wednesday after school, but walk at least three times a week. Don't give up, don't quit, don't stop. Also, note to self, if you feel like watching TV when you get home, don't do it. Go walk first. And drink some water. Yeah.
- Work: Obviously need to keep my current job and get some cash flowing. But don't put off your homework so much that you feel guilty being at work.
- Reading: Even though I'm pretty much lying to myself about this one, I want to address it. There are so many books on my bookshelf that have been bugging me for the past few months. They're books that I really want to read or finish or both, and I just don't. My excuse during the school year was that I was too busy reading for class. Seriously, me? You can do better than that. You know you want to find out how Ned gets beheaded. And you really wanna know what happens to Richard and Kahlan. And CS Lewis is too much of a genius to stop now. Try and read more this year. Always bring a book to school even if you don't think you'll read it. (Also, book reviews maybe?)
- Cleaning: I always lose myself on this one. I can get caught up on everything else and then there's my messy room staring me in the face every morning I wake up. Clothes and papers everywhere, and I just keep piling stuff on. The first Sunday of every month is now cleaning day. No more excuses, just cleaning. Put on a monthly playlist, sort through clothes, throw out papers you don't need (or stash them for later), and make sure you vacuum.
- Deadlines: Please don't wait until the last minute to finish things. It's not classy. (Belmont App, Songwriting Portfolio, ACT, SAT)
- Money: Even though I spend so much time strategically planning out which music I want to buy, I am not going to. I'm gonna try and limit how much stuff I buy. I need to start saving. (Exceptions: Taylor's 4th Album, The Casual Vacancy, Pines, Les Mis Movie, LeakyCon DVD)
- Sleepytime: Go to bed around 9/9:30pm, fall asleep by 10pm, wake up at 5:30am.
So basically, the key here is balance. I don't want to cut off everything I used to do, but at the same time, I really need to start planning and following through with what I plan. Plus, the more you plan, the more I can do unexpected things like hang out with friends or do fun things. I'll keep you updated on how my school year starts, but I'm hoping that it'll go just as I plan...or at least, I'll stick to a majority of my plans.
No comments:
Post a Comment